Thursday, March 20, 2014

First sell execution today

Today I've made my first transaction, sold the initial position on TIBX.

It actually did not happen on purpose, as I set the limit @21.44, based by the Average True Range.

However, it was not the STOP order, so it got executed right at the open - the High of the Day - which was not bad.

I've decided to follow the rule, as holding the stock through the earnings is a gambling and not trading.

The fact that ORCL missed the expectation also made me sell more willingly.

Tibco has beat the earnings by 1 cent - I don't know how exciting is that, but I definitely don't understand the manipulatory hype in the after-hours.

In my opinion there are plenty of sellers that would be willing to dump their shares, if the stock opens over 22. Tomorrow price action should be interesting.


Overall: the sell was good. Did not wait until the earnings call. Did not gamble.

Result: I've got 3009 USD from the trade, with $20 transaction fee.

What could be better: execution, as it was unexpected.

P.S. I might have left $50-70 on the table, because of the decent earnings results. However, that wouldn't be trading anymore, if I held.


Overall execution:

I've got the shares at the very bottom February, 1. That was the reversal point, an obvious one.


Main mistake was not selling at the very top of the move, where everything got overbought. I was greedy and hesitated, did not want to take the action. I had to t sell on the first red day, when it retraced half of the move - but I still failed to do that.

If that was done, I could probably buy back at 21 and capture the bounce. Oh, well.

In terms of execution today, it was done nicely. The perfect point would be resistance at 22 intra-day, which could count as mistake #2. 

Mistakes: hesitated to sell at the clear top. Did not pay attention to the intra-day top.

What I did well: did not sell where amateurs sold (at the bottom near 21), had the bounce. Did not gamble on the earnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment